Monday, October 11, 2004

And Now a Message From Our Sponsor

Throughout the year, I donate money to various charities. For a few reasons, I tend to give more to one particular charity than most - the American Cancer Society. First, a close friend of mine lost his mother to cancer about two years ago. Second, one of the sweetest women I've ever known is a breast cancer survivor - and it is in her name that I make my donations. The world is a far better place with her in it.

Once a year, though, I donate something more precious to me than money -- my time. As I sat collecting money for the charity this weekend, I couldn't help thinking that the world would be a much better place if everyone gave just one day a year to a cause that was important to them. Can you imagine how much collective good we could do? I mean, think about it. I spent just a few hours of my day helping out, and I still had time to go out to dinner and drinks with friends and see a great band that night, which left the entire day Sunday for rock climbing, hiking back down the mountain looking at the fall foliage (how beautiful is it this time of year?), and finding a new apartment (success!!).

Now I recognize that there are people who dedicate their lives to helping others, and I wouldn't dream of comparing my small effort to the things they do on a daily basis. All I'm saying is this. We constantly tell ourselves that there aren't enough hours in the day. We complain that time passes by too quickly. However, if we stop for a moment and think about how much time we spend watching TV, or going for drinks, or shopping for things we don't really need, or talking on the phone, we quickly realize that one day - even a few hours - isn't going to cause you to miss anything, and could make a world of difference in the life of another.

By the way, if you'd care to donate, you can do so at http://www.cancer.org/docroot/DON/don_0.asp.