Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Writer's Block

An acquaintance of mine read this blog the other day and sent me an e-mail suggesting that I convert some of my thoughts into longer essays and attempt have them published. I'd imagine that publishers are inundated with people who think they can write, but there is a huge difference between writing a blog, and writing to be published. Besides, if I am not disciplined enough to work a full day here - as evidenced by my ever growing list of blog entries - I'm certainly not disciplined enough to force myself to sit and write for a living. No doubt I'd be homeless within a month, begging for spare change so that I can buy time at an internet cafe to update my blog.

I tend to joke around a lot, too. About once a month someone says to me "You are pretty funny. You should try to be a comedian." I'm never quite sure if they are serious, or if they are just trying to get rid of me. But as is the case with writing, I recognize the difference between joking at work and standing on a stage entertaining audience of strangers. Besides, when you care about someone, you want to make them smile and laugh all of the time, so it's easy to be funny.

Oddly enough, the argument that most people make in an attempt to sway me to branch out is that I might become famous. The odds against that are enormous, but that isn't what holds me back. While the money that comes with fame would be nice, the reality is that I don't feel the need to be admired by a bunch of strangers. In fact, I'd settle for being liked by the people I already know - a feat more difficult than you might imagine.

Oh well, time to get back to preparing the 2005 budget. Budgeting is, after all, why I got into Human Resources in the first place. I also have a strange craving for chocolate milk. Geez, I hope I'm not pregnant.