Thursday, January 27, 2005

Nathan's

They just opened a Nathan's in the food concourse of my office building. I think everyone knows this, but Nathan's is a chain of fast food restuarants that began in 1916 with a hot-dog stand in Coney Island. Feel free to go to the Nathan's web site for more information. It's not like I'm writing a documentary here.

Anyway, seeing it reminded me of a trip that I took to the Coney Island Aquarium earlier this summer. We had a great time looking at all of the colorful fish and taking pictures. Afterwards, we strolled over to the original Nathan's for hot dogs and fries. The rest of the afternoon was spent doing fun things like playing minature golf, going to the batting cage (where I tried not to embarass myself too much), and eating funnel cakes as the wind whipped the sugar off of the plate and all over our clothes. We also strolled down the beach and took some more pictures before we headed back home.

As we drove home, we passed a dock. We were both struck by the beauty of the ships sailing along the water at sunset and so we quickly pulled off the road, found a parking spot, and walked back. The dying sunlight reflected across the water, and the ships seemed almost ghostly in the haze. As always, I was awestruck by the pictures that my friend took, but I should have been used to that by then for she is the most talented and creative person I've ever known.

What I remember most about that day was thinking that I couldn't decide which was more beautiful - the splendor that nature had laid before us, or the woman by my side. But in reality, it was no contest for there was nothing that ever compared to her.