Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Good News, Bad News

The good news is that I finally got around to dropping off my SUV for repairs from an accident that occured a few moths ago. We've had a pretty snowy winter here in NY and I wanted to have the four wheel drive available, so I waited to get the truck fixed. The repairs are expected to take the better part of a week, so I had no choice but to get a rental car.

The bad news is that it seems I didn't wait quite long enough. On Monday, it was beautiful and over 50 degrees out, but all of that changed on Tuesday. We got rain in the morning, followed by plummeting temperatures and a blinding snowstrom in the afternoon. The end result was a commute home on icy roads in near white-out conditions from the wind driven snow. I think you can see where this is going.

Normally, the drive home takes around 25 minutes, but in those conditions, it took nearly 2 1/2 hours. I was about 5 minutes from home, driving along at about 30 miles per hour when I got hit by a driver who was busy running a red light. He later said that he didn't think anyone else would be on the road, and he was afraid to use his brakes for fear of skidding and losing control of his car. I let that pass, since it was nearly impossible to argue with his complete lack of logic. Luckily, the impact was on the passenger side, but it still send me spinning across the road for what seemed like an hour, but was probably only a few seconds. I managed to escape with just some residual soreness and a persistant headache, but the car is a wreck. Good thing it was a rental - although I'm not sure how the rental company feels about that.

Fortunately, my life didn't pass before my eyes. It's been painful enough to live through it once, and so live in dread at the thought of having to watch it again. Instead, I was just driving along listening to the Knicks game one minute, and sitting in the middle of the road in a wreck the next - dazed, and wondering how I wound up there.