Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day

Ah, Valentine's Day is upon us once again. It's that magical time that florists, Hallmark shareholders, private investigators, and divorce attorneys dream of all year long. The one day a year that pick up lines like "Hey, look. I have a heart-on for you." might work. The day where single people feel obligated to throw "I Hate VD" (erm...that stands for Valentine's Day - though the sentiment works either way) parties to show the world that they're okay being alone - and then spend the entire event scanning the room in the hopes of meeting that special someone who will rescue them from having to attend those stupid parties the next year.

For those who are already with someone, the pressure is on. I took a walk on lunch and the stores are packed with guys searching for that special gift that screams "See? I didn't wait until the last minute!" before taking their loved one out for that ultra-romantic Tuesday night dinner that every woman dreams of.

Just a hint for the men out there. If you've already found the woman of your dreams (or are ever fortunate enough to do so), don't wait until Valentine's Day to show her. Buy her flowers for no reason; give her a massage after a she's had a tough day; wash the dishes after dinner; write her notes to show her you care; truly listen when she speaks to you; show her that you support her as she chases her dreams; let her know in every way possible that you treasure every moment with her and that you're lucky to have her in your life. Do these things as often as possible, not because you think it's what she wants, but simply because she means so much to you. Even if things don't work out in the end, at least there will be no doubt as to how you felt. It's far better than looking back and saying "I wish I'd told her..."

On a more personal note, since I lived the lyrics to this song for a few years, I thought it kind of appropriate for Valentine's Day.




Anyway, I'm off to the west coast in the morning but I wanted to say that I hope you all have a wonderful Valentine's Day with your loved ones, and that the memories of this day make you smile for years to come.

And finally, I'd like to wish a Happy Valentine's day to someone who has meant the world to me from the first moment that I saw her, from the first second I heard her voice, from the first time her beautiful smile made my heart skip a beat, and from the first instant her voice turned into music every beat of my heart.

I know I played this video a few weeks ago, but the lyrics speak the words I've always tried to say: