Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday is upon us again. That means that its time for me to do two things:

1. Make my annual trek to St. Patrick's Cathedral for the post-work distribution of ashes to the commuters - or as I call it "The Ash and Dash." If tradition holds, this will be followed by the curious stares of the non-Christian population as I wander the streets with a smudgy ash cross on my ever growing forehead...or fivehead as I've come to call it.

2. Choose what to give up for lent.

This year I plan to continue my time honored tradition of giving up self-denial.

Bonus Trivia:
The Carnival Season is a holiday period during the two weeks before the traditional Christian fast of Lent. The origin of the name "Carnival" is unclear. The most commonly known theory states that the name comes from the Italian carne- or carnovale, from Latin carnem (meat) + levare (lighten or raise), literally "to remove the meat" or "stop eating meat." It has also been claimed that it comes from the Latin words caro (meat) and vale (farewell), hence "Farewell to meat".