Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Round Three

In about 45 minutes, I'll be interviewing with the President of the organization, followed by the Manager of Organizational Development and Communications. It should be interesting as I'm sure that their combined brain power would be enough to light NYC for weeks while mine would barely power an electric train set for two minutes.

My hopes rest on phrases like "eliminate inefficiencies", "form partnerships with our internal clients", "leverage our people to build the skills that will create a solid foundation upon which we can build a world class HR organization", and (my personal favorite) "seek quick wins to establish credibility while we establish consultative relationships that will enable us to provide higher value HR products services with an emphasis on innovation and simplicity."

It sounds easy, but you try saying things like that with a straight face.

Let's hope they don't catch on.

Post-interview summary to follow.

Three hours later...

I'm back. I hope I don't confuse you with the HR technical term that I'm about to use, but the interview went "kinda okay." While they were nice enough to move me from the ground floor conference room that they used last time to a fourth floor room in a different building, there were a few factors working against me once again including:

The HR secretary forgetting to tell the President that I was there, resulting in me being abandoned in the conference room for 20 minutes.

Distracting thoughts of full leathers.

A freak snow storm that began minutes into the interview and continued throughout, resulting in frequent interjections like this "It's really snowing hard out there!", "I can't believe it's still snowing", and "This is some weather we're having lately, isn't it?" I believe the proper responses were: nod in agreement, shake my head in disbelief, and 'yes'.

The model like beauty of the woman sitting in the glass walled conference room directly across from the glass walled conference room in which I was seated and the bevy of stunning women that paraded through the hallway outside of the conference room.


Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen any unattractive people working there - male of female. I think that means I'm doomed.

Anyway, the interviews themselves were the standard "listen to them talk, then regurgitate everything they said they value in your answers to their questions" fare. I think I did better with the President than I did with the woman who turned out to have the somewhat ambiguous title of "Manager of Culture and Communications". While I wouldn't be worried about it in a normal situation, he did mention several times how much he values her input.

I guess we'll see what happens next.

P.S. - In case you're wondering, were I offered this job, I'd still be able to avoid (by a mere 2.500 miles or so) the Airdrie area altogether - particularly that dangerous Deerfoot Trail corridor north of Airdrie and south of Red Deer where the weather changes rapidly, and drivers underestimate the conditions.