Monday, April 03, 2006

Stolen Post

A few weeks ago my friend was asked "Are you and Joe close?"

After thinking about it, she said "no."

Apparently, this conversation made her realize that she knew a lot of facts about me, but that she didn't 'really know me'.

This is probably true for two reasons. The first is that I tend to deflect even the most lightly probing questions with poorly constructed, barely funny jokes. The second is neatly summarized in this exchange from the movie "About a Boy":

Christine: Oh, no... it's just I thought you had hidden depths.

Will: No, no, you've always had that wrong about me. I really am this shallow.


I was reminded of this exchange while visiting Okami's blog last week. After having it brought to her attention that she hadn't revealed much about herself to the blog world, she invited her readers to a game of 20 questions - and being the curious sort, we jumped all over it.

At the end of her reply to my question about keeping people at a distance, she added "and please don't take any offense in the following comment, but do I sense a hint of reflective questioning here?"

In her usual insightful way, she made me realize that I may not have been as open to blogging about my life as I've thought. At the same time, I realized that it's much easier to plagiarize than it is to come up with an original idea on a Monday.

So, with apologies to Okami, I'm inviting you to ask me any questions you'd like.

Given that she's pretty brilliant - one of the many reasons that I'm a huge fan of hers - I'm also going to steal the rules she created.

#1 - Only one question per person per comment please (though you can use additional comments to ask other questions)

#2 - I reserve the right to 'pass' on any question.

#3 - Some answers may be more based in sarcasm than in fact, but that's part of who I am.

Ready?

Go.

Time's up. Drop your pencils.

No questions? Good.

Now that we have that out of the way, don't ever say that I didn't give you a chance to get to know me better.