Monday, April 17, 2006

Uh-Oh


Let me begin with the caveat that if any of the people that work for my firm see this, I'd appreciate it if you would keep it quiet until everyone else has been notified.

I just got laid off. I'm one of a number of people that are in this boat firm wide, but somehow knowing that doesn't make it any easier. The rest are going to be told tomorrow.

I'd like to take a philosophical approach to this, and I probably will in a day or two, but right now I feel like I got kicked in the stomach. Financial burdens are the worst of it, and given the less-than-rich outplacement packages being offered, it's going to be rough going for a while.

I should be used to the fact that every time things look bright, they suddenly go dark but - idiot that I am - it's always a shock. I'll be around during the job search. Hell, what else do I have to do but send resumes and hope? But I can't tell you how much this sucks.