Friday, April 07, 2006

The Week in Pictures XL

Random Friday Thoughts:

In just a few hours, another week of alternating work-week hell and boredom will come to a merciful end and I'll be ready to enjoy two days of freedom. How will I spend it? I haven't a clue but after the business of the past few months, I'm looking forward to a restful weekend. Of course, as soon as I typed that, my phone rang with several options (or demands) regarding Saturday, so perhaps it won't be as quiet as I'd hoped.

Softball season begins shortly, so if you're looking for me on Sunday, you should be able to find me near Parking Field 1 in Eisenhower Park where our first practice begins at 9:30 a.m. I have to say that there's something about this time of year that is life affirming. Maybe it's the grass on the field; maybe it's the sound of a ball popping into a mitt; or maybe it's simply the first in a long line of consecutive Sundays where I'll be drunk by noon.

As I mentioned a few weeks back, researchers claim that capsaicin causes prostate cancer cells to kill themselves. I bring this up because yesterday I read an article indicating that ginger is able to destroy ovarian cancer cells.

Now you're all old enough to make your own decisions, but all I'm going to say is that what I now refer to as the "chili pepper incident" taught me that you should always seek advice from your doctor before going down the self-treatment path.

Still, no matter how much pain I was in that day, I'll be that it didn't even begin to compare to what this guy suffered through.

Que bonita bandera -- God, I wish I could get that song out of my head.

Now on to The Week in Pictures
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


An Opening Day at the Great American Ball Park was postponed indefinitely when it was discovered that President Bush didn't have an exit strategy for leaving the mound after throwing out the ceremonial first pitch.


As part of the Catholic Church's efforts to attract a younger audience, the Pope has begun wearing a modified Mohawk.


In other hairstyle news, Tokyo stylists report that the troll doll look is sweeping the city.

Note: Sorry Grant, I don't have her number.


Millions of men abruptly stopped fantasizing about Brigitte Bardot after a recent public appearance by the former French film star.


Herpetologists believe that they may have stumbled across the reason for the popularity of male chameleons in the reptilian dating world.


While the hottest plastic surgery trend among the Hollywood crowd is jewel encrusted permanent smiles.


Speaking of plastic surgery, the new, improved, and now 99.9% synthetic Star Jones Reynolds returned to 'The View' this week after a brief absence while recovering from post-elective surgery complications.


It was later learned that former American Idol contestant Mandisa Hundley had the majority of Ms. Jones-Reynolds discarded fat injected into her in the hopes that it would bring her luck.


A model at the inaugural Lakme Fashion Week in Mumbai will be required to stand in place for the entire mating season after an endangered Paper-winged bird nested in her hair.


A recent study indicates that dogs in Monte Carlo enjoy the world's highest standard of living.

In keeping with our recent Shakira theme, here's our video of the week:

Note: Please bear with the 10 second commercial in the beginning. When you press play after the commercail is finished, you'll see the video. Of course, you can also just drag the "seek" bar all the way to the right, but then you'd get less Shakira and I think we can all agree it's just plain crazy to want less Shakira.

I realize that I posted this video a while back, but you have to love the way she moves - and I really like the song. I wonder if any of the apartments across the street are available?

Now let's pause for a public service announcement.


The hopes. The dreams. The promise of a better tomorrow. Each year, millions of stars die needlessly due to hunger.

Now just imagine: for just 52 cents a day - the cost of a cup of coffee - you could provide a star with the healthy diet that she deserves.

Won't you find it in your heart to adopt a star today?

Note: To the point raised by Blondie in the comments, please use this currency converter to calculate the coffee price for your specific area of the world.


A Taronga Zoo veterinary nurse was arrested this afternoon on charges of inappropriately fondling a Wandering Albatross.


Prior to the 152nd annual Boat Race against Cambridge, Oxford rowing President Barney Williams pleaded for compassion by shouting "I am not an animal! I am a human being! I...am...a man! "


After failed auditions for Syriana, Brokeback Mountian, and Crash, Pinhead - star of the Hellraiser movies - is toning down his look in an effort to attract more mainstream roles.


In business news, a street vendor in Jakarta is under investigation for false advertising after it came to light that he was selling chicken toes rather than chicken fingers.


Microsoft made it's long awaited foray into the cellular market by unveiling it's first cell phone this week.


And Victoria's Secret has designed a new line of Sumo thongs that are specifically designed to lift and separate.


In sports, a football match between Villareal and Inter-Milan was delayed for over two hours when a zombie came to life and clawed it's way out of the ground in the middle of the pitch.


And finally, the World Wildlife Foundation placed Wooden Elephants on the endangered species list with a warning that the beasts demise could impact energy conservation efforts since their droppings account for over 80% of the world's supply of firewood.