Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Joad to Perdition

The other day I was leaving a comment on a blog when I noticed this symbol next to the word verification box. Given how much I hate the ever increasingly difficult word verification letter strings, I thought I'd click on it to see what happened. I guess I'd secretly hoped that it would type the word in for me, so you can imagine my disappointment when I found out that all it did was read the letters aloud.

I thought nothing of it until later that day when I checked my e-mail box only to find a summons for illegally clicking on the button. Apparently, before doing so, I was required to have one of these hanging from my monitor.

In other news, I realize that this is getting redundant, but the job search continues this week. My interview with the cosmetics company was postponed until today, but it seems to have gone well. Unfortunately, they're going on a three day strategic retreat beginning tomorrow, so I won't hear back until Tuesday at the earliest. While I was busy interviewing, I received two calls from companies to whom I've submitted my resume over the past few weeks so I'll get back to them tomorrow and see what happens.

I did have in interesting interview the other day, though. It an Office Manager/Human Resources position with a agriculture company called Joad Industries who recently moved their operations from Dust Bowl, Oklahoma to California.

It’s a family owned company with the son, Tom Joad having recently been named CEO. Apparently, the move out west had caused some internal friction amongst the family, as the patriarch and company founder - affectionately known as "Grampa Joad” - was dead set against leaving Oklahoma. However, the Board of Directors saw the move as necessary for the long-term health and prosperity of the corporation. Sadly, just as the move began, Grampa passed away and as so often happens, his wife, “Granma Joad” died shortly after.

Since they were the glue that held the organization together, subsequent departures were almost inevitable. For example, their CFO, Ivy Wilson and his wife, the Director of HR Sairy Wilson were headhunted away by a company on the California border. Then shortly after their arrival in California, Noah, the oldest of the Joad children, abandoned the family to become a venture capitalist in Silicon Valley – taking with him his brother-in-law Connie.

Because of the leadership void, I’d need to wear a lot of hats early on. To begin with, there will be a lot of recruiting, which should be easy because from what I gather 20,000 people show up for every 800 jobs. I’d also oversee labor operations at several different sites (or “camps” as they call them). Investigating discrimination complaints – mostly dealing those lodged by “Okies” – would also take up a considerable amount of time. Finally, I’d act as the liaison between local police and the workers at the camps as there has been some tension at the Hooverville facility.

All of that said, I doubt that I'm going to get the position because as I was walking out, I caught a glimpse of the company President – the oddly named Rose of Sharon - holding the other finalist for the job close and suckling him.

Oh well, I guess it just wasn't to be.