Thursday, August 31, 2006

Why Did I Want a Job Again?

Here’s a little something for those of you who wonder why HR folks get a little cranky from time to time.

Immediately upon strolling into my office yesterday morning, I was met by my boss and one of the department managers. Apparently, the department manager had been trying to counsel an employee that had chosen to leave work the previous day without informing anyone because he was upset that she had refused his request to take 15 unpaid days off in addition to the 25 days of paid time off that he’d been allotted for the year. When his manager tried to speak with him the next morning, he walked out of the meeting and hid in the men’s room – correctly assuming that she wouldn’t follow him in there.

As you’ve probably surmised, my mission was to coax him out. After spending 15 minutes calming him down, I was finally able to convince him that the restroom wasn’t the best place for him to share his grievances with me. We then spent another 45 minutes in a conference room where I (with mixed results) tried to educate him as to why walking leaving work early and then hiding out might not be the best career move he’s ever made.

As a reward, I’m now fairly well-known throughout the office despite the fact that I’ve only been here for three days. Whenever I meet someone new, they almost invariably say “Oh, you’re the guy who had to go get (employee name) out of the bathroom!”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In an ironic, and somewhat sad, twist, I later realized that the man hididng in the bathroom was the some one that I wrote about here.