Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Broker Language 101

One of the really cool things about working for this company is that leadership seems to recognize that certain people are idiots. Even better is that there's somewhat of a "blue collar" mentality that allows people to say what's on their mind without much fear of retrobution.

For example, I was called into a broker's office last week because he wanted to complain about a problem that he'd encountered. After hearing the story, it was evident that he was mostly to blame for the issues at hand, but that didn't stop him from becoming increasing agitated. Finally, the conversation took a bizzare turn.

Arrogant Broker: What religion are you?

Me: Erm...I'm not sure that has anything to do with what we're discussing

Arrogant Broker: Well, based on your name I don't think you're Jewish. If you were, then you'd know that they only do things like this to be because I am.

Me: I don't think your religion was a factor. I mean, how would they even know that?

Arrogant Broker: So what do you as an "HR expert" believe is the reason for the treatment that I received?

Me: From what I've seen, I'm guessing that they dislike you on your own merits.

Arrogant Broker: You need to learn how to show respect to the people that pay your salary.

(pause)

Me: You got beat up a lot growing up, didn't you?