Monday, November 27, 2006

Subway Etiquette

While getting off of the 2 train last week, I stopped to allow a woman to step in front of me. Judging by the surprised look on her face (and by the number of people running up my back) it seems that common courtesy isn't all that common underground in NYC.

As I stood there pondering that bit of insight, an extraordinary thing happened. The woman that I let in front of me stopped, smiled, and let someone else get in front of her, then that person did the same, and so did another. In short order, what was usually a massive eruption of bodies through the doors turned into an orderly - and exceeding polite - procession onto the platform.

Standing and watching the events unfold, I couldn't help thinking about how much I wished everyone would stop being so nice so I could get off of the f**king train.