Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Campbell Apartment

The Campbell Apartment in Grand Central is one of my favorite places in NYC. Formerly the office and salon of John W. Campbell, president and chairman of Credit Clearing House, a privately held financial services corporation associated with financing the garment industry, the space has been turned into a public bar and lounge. Between the beautiful hand-painted ceiling beams, the balcony, the huge leaded glass window and the massive stone fireplace, having a drink there is like being transported back in time to a more glorious era.

Last week, I met a friend there for a few post-work drinks. As we were talking, she glanced over my shoulder and her eyes grew wide. She grabbed my arm and pointed at a nearby couple

"That's Liam Neeson!" she exclaimed

While I'm not one who generally notices celebrities, I glanced over and confirmed that the man did, indeed, bear a striking resemblance to the actor.

"Isn't this exciting?" she asked breathlessly.

"Only if he's paying for our drinks." I replied.