Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Life Lessons: Nothing Changes on New Year's Day

At around 10:00 on New Year's Eve, I decided to hop a train and head into Times Square to watch the ball drop. Having lived in New York for most of my life, I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never done that before and it seemed like it might be more fun than the boring party I was at.

I survived the crush of the crowds on 59th street near Central Park, and was among the last of groups allowed onto 7th avenue just moments before the ball dropped. Even from 30 blocks away, it was amazing to stand among a million people celebrating, catching confetti, and watching the fireworks explode over Central Park.

Anyway, my favorite part of the night was when I called my sister at home and asked her if she would mind finding out where the access points for Times Square were so that I could figure out the best way to get there. As she went on line to check, she mentioned a link on a NYC web site that read "Aussies Welcome in the New Year."

"I kind of thought they were always welcome here. Why would it be different in 2007?" I wondered.

"I know." agreed my sister. "That does seem kind of odd."

"Maybe the city is launching a tourism campaign in Australia." I speculated. "Click on the link and let's see what it's about."

Of course, the story was about the New Year's celebrations that had taken place in Australia earlier in the day, and detailed how they'd gone about welcoming in the new year.

Lesson learned: Though time marches on, I remain a moron.