Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Something's Fishy

I read the other day that researchers at the University of Washington say that holiday baking has had an environmental impact on the Puget Sound.

According the the article, Rick Keil, an associate professor of chemical oceanography and UW researcher Jacquelyn Neibauer's weekly tests of treated sewage sent into the sound from the West Point treatment plant in Magnolia showed cinnamon, vanilla and artificial vanilla levels rose between Nov. 14 and Dec. 9, with the biggest spike right after Thanksgiving. It goes on to say that the study underscores the more important point about how waste passes through the sewage system and into waterways.

Frankly, by the time they got to that point, I'd stopped paying attention to what they were saying. Instead my mind had wandered off towards more practical uses of that information.

With that in mind, I've decided to dump a few tons of dark soy sauce, juice and zest of lime, fresh ground ginger root, garlic, basil, thyme, tequila, Mongolian fire oil, and crushed red peppers into the nearest lake, and allow it to marinate over the winter. When spring comes, I'll be there with my bait and tackle prepared to catch a few ready-to-cook fish.

I'll let you know how it goes.