Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Lenten Goodness

It's Ash Wednesday once again, which means I got to break out one of my favorite old jokes when my sister IMed me this morning.

Her: Don't forget that it's Ash Wednesday.
Me: Thx
Her: What are you giving up for lent this year?
Me: Self-denial

And then we laughed and laughed until our stomachs ached and tears streamed from our eyes. Good times, my friends. Good times indeed.

*sigh*

The truth is that I've chosen to forgo chocolate during this year's Lenten period. In all honesty, my decision may have had something to do with how amused and alarmed I was by the fact that in addition to such wholesome ingredients as semi-sweet chocolate, soy lecithin, sugar, and cornstarch, the Nestle Sno-Caps that I enjoyed on the ride home last night also contained carnauba wax

On the bright side, its like getting my stomach lining detailed in advance of this evening's visit to St. Patrick's Cathedral for the 6 p.m. commuter special distribution of ashes.

P.S. - Feel free to click on link if you're interested in reading my admittedly dubious History Channel-esque version of The Origin of Ash Wednesday.