Thursday, February 08, 2007

Why I'm an Idiot: Reason Number 3,872

I closed another long and stressful day yesterday with a walk through the bitter cold that's enveloped New York City over the past week. Tears streamed from my eyes as the winds whipped through the canyons created by the skyscrapers on either side of the street. After running a few errands, I was ready to duck into a nice, warm subway car to thaw out.

I squeezed into a crowded car, closed my eyes and let the rocking of the train lull me into the twilight state between wakefulness and sleep. I could feel the tension ebbing from my body as I stood there letting go of the work day's minor annoyances and petty drama.

I disembarked at my stop and mindlessly followed the crowds until a sudden thought made me stop in my tracks. With a sigh, I turned and made my way over to the uptown platform - where I waited for the train to take me back to my office so that I could walk over to the parking garage to pick up the car that I'd forgotten that I'd driven in to NYC that morning.