Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Airborne Stranger

While flying JetBlue to California a while back, the flight attendant offered me a product called Airborne which the label proudly touted as having been created by a second-grade teacher.

On the surface, it sounds like a valid claim but as I reflected on my own experience in elementary school I quickly realized that there are few people I'd trust less than my second grade teacher to cure me of an illness. Let's be honest, this was a woman who became physically ill when my classmate dislocated his finger.

Now this isn't a knock on the many wonderful teachers out there, but my point is that being exposed to something doesn't necessarily make you an expert on the subject. If if it did, every mother of three would be heading up a pharmaceutical company.

Even the celebrity endorsement on the website is dubious.

Celebrities take Airborne too ...

"Look, Airborne is great. I wouldn't go on a movie set without it; it's on my plane and in my house." — Kevin Costner

I mean, Kevin Costner? Questions abound. Didn't his credibility disappear somewhere around the release of Waterworld?; Should one ever trust an endorsement that begins with the word "Look"?; And is he even allowed near movie sets these days?

That said, everyone I've spoken to seems to love the product, so I suppose it's only a matter of time before we see this on store shelves:

STD-Tox
Developed by a prostitute!