Friday, July 06, 2007

Who Do You Admire?

I was reading a blog post yesterday that asked the question "Who do you admire most?"

I thought about that question for quite a while, but try as I might, I couldn't come up with an answer. For some reason, I could only think of public figures, which is a sure way to set oneself up for a letdown. I mean, how can you know someone based on snippets you see on the news or read in the papers? Sure, you can appreciate the things that they do, but how can you truly admire a person that you don't even know?

As I was speaking on the phone early this morning it dawned on me that the answer had been in front of me all along. The person that I admire most in life is the person to whom I was speaking - and the person I'm lucky enough to share my life with.

The person I admire the most is SSC.

The longer I've known her, the more I've come to realize what a truly extraordinary person she is. She's intelligent and charming, sweet and caring, beautiful and humble, strong and sensitive, independent and vulnerable. She's experienced more challenges in the past decade than most face in a lifetime and she's emerged proud, confident, and ready to take on the world.

Anyone who can't see that simply isn't paying attention. You need only catch a glimpse of her breathtaking beauty to feel your knees go weak and to know that she has no equal. You need only observe her with her boys to see what an amazing mother she is. You need only work with her for a moment to know that she far and away the most talented person on her team. You need only hear her laughter or see her smile once to know how she lights up every room she enters.

I suppose one could argue that I'm blinded by my feelings for her, but that's simply not true for I've felt this way about her from the moment we met. It was only later that I that I was somehow granted the incredible gift of capturing her heart.

And believe me, I've not taken that gift for granted. Nor will I ever.