Monday, October 01, 2007

Capital Idea

While there is no direct impact on commercial real estate, there is some concern that the recent housing bubble burst brought on by sub-prime lending practices may have a chilling effect on business - particularly as it relates to Investment Properties.1 As a result, there is increasing focus on expense control here, and reminders about fiscal responsibility are often prefaced with the phrase "Due to the volatility in the Capital Markets".

Much to my own amusement (and almost nobody else's), I've discovered that you can reference that phrase in pretty much every conversation. For example:

  • I had Mexican for lunch and my stomach is more volatile than the capital markets.
  • Due to the volatility in the Capital Markets, I'm going to focus on reducing consumption by watching football on Sunday in lieu of grocery shopping, mowing the lawn, and doing laundry.
  • Get out of my office before I get more volatile than the Capital Markets.
Now feel free to go annoy your friends and family with this handy phrase.

There's no need to thank me. The look in your eyes is thanks enough.

1 Notice how it almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about.