Tuesday, January 08, 2008

It's Mourning In NYC

One of the reasons that I haven't posted as much as usual of late is that I've been mourning the passing of a friend. This post is dedicated to that friend.

I can't tell you how much I'm going to miss the time we'd spend planning our day over breakfast or the way even the most boring meetings seemed to fly by when we were together. Eloquent thoughts and inspired ideas all flowed so easily between us, almost as if we were of the same mind. Whenever I reached for you, you were always there, and in contrast to so many others I've known, you never put me through the pain of having to see you being held by someone else.

I thought it would last forever, but it ended all too soon and your absence has left a void that I don't believe I'll ever be able to fill. I'll miss you more than words can ever say.

The hardest part is how sudden it all was. One minute blue ink was flowing effortlessly through your perfectly machined ballpoint head and the next it just stopped. I tried in vain to perform mouth to cartridge resuscitation, but it was no use (and it made me feel dirty). Even to my untrained eye it was clear that you had nothing more to give - that I was trying to rescue a lifeless husk.

Sure, I could have bought a new cartridge, but that wouldn't have been you and I don't want to cheapen your memory in that way.

I'm trying to move on, but I'm not ready for other pens yet. I've started using a mechanical pencil but I don't think that's going to work out either - mostly because he keeps making uncomfortable jokes about how I "put the lead in him."

Anyway, rest in peace Clickie. You were the best pen a man could ever have hoped for.