Monday, January 14, 2008

An Open Letter to Broadcast News Producers

Dear Broadcast News Producers,

Every time I watch prime time television, I see a teaser for the upcoming local news broadcast in which the anchorperson says something along the lines of "Murder in Brooklyn....at 11." or "Three alarm fire in New Jersey...at 11."

Now I understand the importance of enticing people to watch your programs, and I realize that no news certainly isn't good news where your ratings are concerned. However, I can't help but to wonder why, if you know these horrible things are going to happen at 11, you don't do something to prevent them.

I realize that your news broadcasts provide a valuable public service, but I can't help but wonder - wouldn't it be more valuable to be able to say something along the lines of "Breaking news: We've just prevented a three alarm fire in New Jersey that would have been caused by faulty wiring"?

Just a suggestion.

Your Friend,

Joe