Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Epiphany

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

- Marianne Williamson

I've been playing small for far too long. I've been shrinking for years. As I lay awake one night this week wondering what was wrong with me that I was not worthy of the love and respect of those for whom I've sacrificed so much I realized that I can no longer live with being defined by those that will tear me down and try to reduce me so that they might feel powerful. I can no longer bear the weight of the anger and injustice of others. That I can no longer sacrifice my happiness so that others can prosper as they sit in judgment of me and belittle the things that I've done even as they ask for more. I can no longer allow people to mistake my niceness for weakness and to mock me for turning the other cheek. I can no longer be mocked by the ones for whom I have shown unconditional love. I am worthy of far more than I've allowed others to convince me that I deserve.

From this day forward I shall shine not so that I can feel superior to others, but simply so that I can reach my full potential. I shall not allow others to feel powerful by reducing me. I shall not let others insecurities define who I am and I will no longer seek to earn the respect and kindness of people who have not earned the same of me. I shall stand strong and proud. I will trust myself and will not seek approval from those that act in their own selfish interests for they are not worth my time or interest.

Amd in doing so I shall be the man that I am destined to become and I will find the happiness and peace that I feel that I deserve.