Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Wait...Gain?!?

Inspired by...erm...my expanding waistline, I recently began a weight loss and fitness regimen. While I've been working out for nearly a month, it was only last week that I got around to buying a scale. My goal is to lose 20 pounds and here's what I've done thus far:

Week 1: 206.0 lbs.
Week 2: 206.8 lbs.

Wait...wtf?!?

I suppose if I'm going to be completely honest with myself I'll say that my complete lack of success has a lot to do with two things:

1. My exercise routine which has been largely limited to cardio work which has the unfortunate side effect of rendering the old "muscle weighs more than fat so I guess I gained muscle" excuse moot.

2. My diet which has largely revolved around occasional bouts of eating less and even less frequent attempts to eat healthy. To give you some insight, my typical line of thinking goes something like this: "Tempura must be good for you. Sure, its fried...but they're vegetables!"

Anyway, as I laced up my sneakers last night I remembered that the secret to burning fat via exercise can be summed up in two words: interval training - and with that I was re-energized and off for my best run in a long, long time. Of course, by the end of my workout my legs were burning, my breath was ragged, and my heart was threatening to pound its way out of my chest.

And as I bent over alternately trying to inhale roughly 2/3 of the oxygen available in New York State and trying not to pass out in the street in full view of my neighbors I suddenly remembered the four words that go with interval training: intense pain and nausea.

Come to think of it, winter is just around the corner and I'm going to need a little excess padding, right?