Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 and Whatnot

9/11 has rolled around again and NYC is a sad place to be. In some ways it seems like just yesterday. In others it seems like a lifetime ago. It's been seven years and I still find myself unable to read stories or watch anything having to do with the events of that day - choosing denial over re-living the past.

We do what we do, I suppose. We just do what we do.

Anyway, on a happier note, I’m back from vacation and finally have a few moments to blog. Let me begin by thanking Grant for keeping the place neat and orderly in my absence. That being said, you’d think he would have done a little much needed maintenance while he was blog-sitting. I wasn't looking for much - perhaps a new blog template and maybe editing and re-writing of every one of my blog posts to make them insightful, witty, and/or entertaining.

Oh well.

My trip to SoCal to see SSC and the boys was amazing. Among the too-numerous-to-list highlights were taking RR to his first day of school; attending his first soccer match; family outings to Disneyland, Wild Rivers, Chuck E. Cheese, and SeaWorld; eating at nearly every all-you-can eat restaurant in the area; daily Scrabble challenges; and SSC going all out for my birthday including a delicious breakfast, a massage, allowing me to watch football, and arranging a quiet dinner with just the two of us.

I was really proud of RR when he held his own on the roller coaster-type rides and during his soccer match despite having only attended one practice due to some communication issues. I also discovered that it’s impossible for me to sit down and simply observe as he plays. Instead I'm compelled to pace the sideline as I try to keep from yelling instructions to him.

As for four-year-old Choo Choo, well, he hasn't changed a bit. After going down the slide at Splash Mountain with him clinging to me the entire way, I looked over to make sure that he was okay, fully expecting to see a terrified look on his face. Instead, he looked up at me, smiled and said “That was awesome!” Then, a few days later he asked me to take him to the 'cuzzi (as he calls it) at Wild Rivers. As I chatted with Sean while SSC and Sean’s wife Shelly were off doing whatever it is that women do while they’re hanging out together, I saw Choo speaking with a man on the other side of the Jacuzzi. Concerned, I called him over and asked him what he was talking about - to which he replied

“I asked him ‘Does Queen beat Jack?’”

I was at a loss for words. I mean, how can you criticize a four-year-old for trying to learn poker?

And what can I say about SSC? Well, I could fill a book and not even begin to tell you how wonderful she is.

Finally, I've noticed that the word “whatnot” seems to be growing in popularity. After a lifetime of rarely hearing that word, I must hear it 50 times a week. I have no problem with that, but if we’re going to resurrect words, I’d prefer that we start using 1940's slang words like "ossified" or "jalopy". In fact, I think I’ll write one of my upcoming posts using nothing but 1940's slang, (which should make it more unreadable than usual).

Okay, that’s all for now. Get back to work.