Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Thoughts

So I'm sitting in my office on Christmas Eve because I have no life there's a specific project that I need to get done in time for a meeting on Monday. Id say that I feel like Bob Cratchit at the moment, but I suspect he made more money that I do.

Other than that, there isn't a lot of work to do - particularly since all of the people who are smarter less dedicated than me have taken today off. As a result, I'm spending part of my day tracking Santa's progress via the NORAD website. Right now he's making his way through Australia and I have to say he appears to be taking his sweet time doing so. I can only hope he's in the warm up stage because it this rate he's never going to make it.

At the same time, I'm wondering how Santa survives using what appears to be a flawed business model. He spends all year creating a massive amount of inventory and then gives it away for free. It's no wonder he encourages people to leave him cookies and milk and the like. It's probably the only food he gets all year. In fact, I'm wondering if he's really fat or if that's just a distended belly.

On an unrelated note, I also wonder how many times he gets slapped by women who misinterpred his merry "Ho, ho, ho".

The other thing that leaps to mind is that I can only imagine how annoyed he must get every time he sees a FedEx plane during his journey. I mean, if Santa can cover the entire world in one night can you imagine how much money he could have made opening a package delivery service? I'm guessing that the packages would have been far more festive as well, lending a holiday spirit to even the most mundane of missives received at the office.

Anyway, this line of thinking probably stems from my bitterness at (1) working today and (2) facing the prospect of another Christmas morning alone in an empty house. That said, things could be far worse and, all in all, it's been a very good year.

So with that in mind, Happy Holidays to all...and to all...well, you know.